JSA of LIS All Instructor Symposium, June 22
JSA All Instructor Symposium
Wednesday, June 22
0830 to 1500
Larchmont Yacht Club, 1 Woodbine Ave, Larchmont NY 10538
Level 1 is Not Enough Training! Send your entire staff to this one-day jump-start. Each presentation is filled with practical, hands-on curriculum ideas. We have an excellent group of presenters to provide all JSA instructors with tools, tips, training and techniques to help them become better teachers, coaches and mentors to the junior sailors in your junior programs. Please save this date on your instructors’ training calendar. A program chair from each JSA member club is welcome to attend and observe, for free.
All instructors, head instructors and program directors should attend this symposium. It will help the instructing staff at all JSA programs to share a collective understanding of how to run effective sailing programs.
– Charlie Enright: the youngest skipper in the history of the Volvo Ocean Race will provide the inside view about what it’s like to race Team Alvimedica’s 65-footer for 39,000 miles around the world. He will also discuss his new partnership to promote environmental sustainability among sailors, clubs and regattas.
– Mary Laurence McMillan & Blair Overman: Hormones, Halyards & Horsepower – tailoring your sailing & powerboating instruction to gender-specific needs of young sailors. Mary and Blair are the program directors of YMCA Camp Seafarer (all female) and YMCA Camp Sea Gull (all male) in North Carolina. In partnership with US Sailing and US Powerboating, they offer certification courses that allow campers to learn skills while having fun on the water.
*Breakout Session Speakers will include
– Kevin Broome, Sailing Director at American YC
– Alicia Martorella, Sailing Director at the WaterFront Center
– Rob Crafa, Waterfront Director at SUNY Maritime
– Brian Clancy, Head Sailing Coach at Cornell Univ.
– Jack Fullerton, Head Instructor at Riverside YC
– Walter Florio, Head Instructor at Larchmont YC
– Brendan O’Leary, Head 420 Coach at American YC
Breakfast and lunch is included in the $50 pp advance paid fee ($65 for non-JSA members).