US Sailing In-Person Session Hosts Needed
The JSA of LIS is reaching out to Junior Sailing Program leaders to ask for mutual assistance to ensure that your program, and other sailing programs offered by JSA Member Programs, are staffed by well trained and certified instructors, which will help all our programs operate safely during next summer.
The Issue. We need help hosting three-day US Sailing Level 1 in-person evaluation sessions. The in-person evaluation portion of the Level 1 course is critical to ensure that your staff is offering the highest quality program to your sailors and is being as safe as possible. It is crucial for your instructors to complete their full certification before starting to teach in the summer. We also need hosts for the two-day Level 2 in-person courses that are offered to instructors who have prior experience.
How You Can Help. US Sailing and the JSA are trying to identify organizations / facilities in the Western Long Island Sound region that are willing to host one or more three-day Level 1 in-person evaluation sessions, or two-day Level 2 courses.
The Level 1 in-person evaluation session requires about 30 hours over three consecutive days to complete. Instructor Candidates are evaluated on their teaching ability, sailing skills, powerboat handling skills, on-water class management and risk management, among other topics. The evaluations of on-water management and powerboat handling are imperative for a program to have a successful season and keep everyone safe on and off the water.
We are asking for help hosting more course sessions than in past years.
Some Benefits to hosting!
- Give your own sailors and staff, as well as local Instructor Candidates, the ability to learn and get certified.
- Have a strong group of sailors help identify potential pitfalls or things that need to be fixed as they use your summer facility and perform a site inspection as part of the in-person session.
- Create a catalyst to get your program set up a little earlier than usual. This may provide more training time during your summer staff training/set up week.
- Give potential future staff insights into your club and your facilities.
- Help connect with sailors in your area and expand your own sailing community.
- Support the JSA of LIS and US Sailing to raise the level of safety and best practices by getting more staff certified and trained in your area.
- Free seat for one of your staff members at an instructor course next year if your site hosts two or more courses this year.
Action. We ask that you discuss this issue with your own organization’s management team and consider the possibility of hosting one or more three-day Level 1 in-person evaluation sessions, or two-day Level 2 courses. Details about what a host site needs to provide for support of an in-person session may be viewed on this JSA website page with information about onsite setup guidelines established by US Sailing
The target period for hosting a Level 1 or Level 2 in-person session in Long Island Sound is late-summer to the fall, and mid-March to mid-June. Dates outside of this range may be considered, but most programs in our area are starting up after mid-June and we forecast the demand to be lessened after programs start.
We would like to thank the organizations below that have hosted courses.
Past Level 1 In-Person Hosts in Western Long Island Sound Region
|American Yacht Club
|Norwalk Yacht Club
|Beach Point Yacht Club
|Pequot Yacht Club
|Cedar Point Yacht Club
|Port Jefferson Yacht Club
|Centerport Yacht Club
|Rocking the Boat
|Indian Harbor Yacht Club
|Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club
|Larchmont Yacht Club
|Longshore Sailing School
|SUNY Maritime College
|Manhasset Bay Yacht Club
|The Stony Brook School
|New York Athletic Club
|The Waterfront Center
|Echo Bay Yacht Club
As always, thank you for your ongoing support of Junior Sailing on Long Island Sound.
Tim Clark: JSA Chairperson
Bob Whittredge: JSA Executive Director