Junior Sailing After Summer 2023
A variety of junior sailing programming is available in Western Long Island Sound during late summer and fall 2023. If your organization is offering clinics or training sessions that may be included in this listing of activities that are open to the public, please notify the JSA office by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Name: WaterFront Center Fall Youth Programs
Dates: Begins early September
Boats: Optimist, Club 420 and Sonar
Descrip: The WaterFront Center, 1 West End Ave, Oyster Bay, NY.
The sessions began in early September.
– Opti Beginner: Sundays (9 am – 12 pm) Sept 10 thru Oct 8.
– Opti Race Intro: Sundays (1 pm – 4 pm) Sept 10 thru Oct 8.
– Opti Race: Mondays and Tuesdays (3:30-6:30 pm) Sep 11 thru Oct 12
– High School Sailing (C420s): Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays (3:30 pm – 6:30 pm) Sept 5 thru Nov 3
– Jr. Big Boat Race Team (Sonars) Wednesday (3:30 pm-dark) Sep 13 thru Oct 25
Name: Noroton Yacht Club Fall Sailing
Dates: Begins September 5 for six weeks
Boats: Optimist, RS Feva, Sonars and Ideal 18
Descrip: Noroton Yacht Club, 23 Baywater Drive, Darien, CT 06820
This program runs on weekends beginning 9/5 to 10/15. It focuses on everything from basic sailing skills to advanced racing techniques using club-owned boats.
Name: Huguenot Yacht Club Fall Sailing
Dates: Begins September 9 for six Saturdays
Boats: Laser, Feva and Optimist
Descrip: Huguenot Yacht Club, 106 Harbor Lane West, New Rochelle NY
Join us for six Saturdays 10 am-4 pm beginning 9/9 – 10/14. The sailing area will be near Green Can 7A, with four coach boats provided.
Name: SUNY Maritime Waterfront Fall Sailing
Dates: Beginning early September
Descrip: SUNY Maritime College Waterfront, 6 Pennyfield Avenue, Bronx, NY
– After School Adventure Sailing: Enjoy recreation and instruction aboard a variety of boats, including dinghies, catamarans, and keelboats. Open for 6th-8th grade beginner, intermediate, and advanced sailors. Also for 9th-12th grade sailors of all abilities who are not interested in racing.
Mondays (4 pm – 6:30 pm) Sept. 11 – Oct. 23
– High School Sailing: Learn to sail, race and gain the skills to compete at local, regional or even national level regattas. SUNY Maritime College provides everything needed to participate including sailboats (420s, FJs and Keelboats), coaches, safety boats, and life jackets. Sailors from multiple schools will be combined based on skill level, have an opportunity to sail with different partners, and may attend regattas as part of a composite team. Mondays & Fridays (4 pm – 6:30 pm) Sept 11 – Oct 27
Name: Dinghy Shop Fall Series
Dates: Begins September 9 for six weekends
Boats: ILCA, Optimist, and Sunfish
Descrip: Dinghy Shop, 334 South Bayview Ave, Amityville, NY
The 25th Annual Fall Series of races begins mid-September and until late-October.
– ILCA (Laser) Schedule is on Saturdays, Sept 9 – Oct 21
– Optimist and Sunfish Schedule is on Sundays, Sept 10 – Oct 22