Discussion about Staffing Topics November 15 2022
A discussion about staffing at JSA of LIS member junior sailing programs was held via Zoom meeting during the evening of November 15, 2022, from 7 to 8 pm. The meeting had 35 people registered from 25 organizations.
The resources from the meeting may be viewed at this link.
The available meeting resources include video and audio recordings and a chat log with commentary by the JSA chairperson Tim Clark, executive director Bob Whittredge, and various junior program leaders who described their experiences with staffing topics during the open discussion among the attendees.
The discussion started with a few open-ended questions like these::
- How has the hiring process gone for your program this year relative to prior years.
- What questions do you have regarding the instructor hiring process?
- What have been your biggest challenges in hiring instructors this year?
- How can a program retain and train their own sailors as future instructors for their own program or for other programs?
- If you have been hiring under-18-year-old instructors, how has that worked? What special accommodations/training /rules have you put in place for these younger instructors.
- Have you explored hiring international instructors? How has that worked? What special issues did you need to address for the international instructors?
Some participants had indicated interest in specific topics when they registered that are described on the meeting resources page. Not all topics were discussed during the one-hour Zoom, so JSA may schedule an additional discussion in the future.