Instructor Certification Process
- All instructors at JSA member programs must successfully complete a US Sailing Small Boat Level 1 Instructor Certification Course and maintain valid First Aid and Adult CPR certificates.
- Each instructor at a JSA member program who is taking the Level 1 course for the first time must also successfully complete the US Powerboating Safe Powerboat Handling Certification Course.
Click to view the 2017 regional course schedule for Powerboat Training
- Equivalent international certifications may be accepted for non-US resident instructors.
If you need to obtain or update your certifications, read the US Sailing website descriptions (use this link http://www.ussailing.org/education/teach-sailing > Smallboat to find out what is required). Pay particular attention to prerequisites….
US Sailing Instructor Training Course schedule for western Long Island Sound and nearby regions in 2017
The list below is a guide to help instructor candidates find the dates and locations for US Sailing Smallboat Sailing Instructor Courses Levels 1 and 2.
To learn more about the courses and to register for them, candidates must use the US Sailing website for instructor training certification:
- Select “Smallboat” then click on the title of the course you wish to take.
- Read the detailed course description to learn about the course prerequisites.
- Go to the “Course Calendar.”Locate the course of your choice. Read the directions carefully. Register for the course.
If you need additional help enrolling or have other questions, call or e-mail the Regional Training Coordinator (RTC). We strongly recommend that each Instructor Candidate does the work listed above rather than delegate it to a parent or other person. As the candidates do this work they will gain firsthand knowledge of the preparation required before the course begins, as well as an idea of the serious nature of the job for which they are about to be trained.
Small Boat Level 1 Courses: 2017
April 10-13 American Yacht Club, Rye NY
April 10-13 WaterFront Center, Oyster Bay NY
May 26-29, Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club, Oyster Bay NY
May 26-29, Pequot Yacht Club, Southport CT
May 26-29, Longshore Sailing School, Westport CT
May 26-29, New York Athletic Club, Pelham NY
May 26-29, Centerport Yacht Club, Centerport NY
May 26-29, WaterFront Center, Oyster Bay NY
May 30- June 2, Norwalk Yacht Club, Norwalk CT
June 3-4 + June 10-11, Pequot Yacht Club, Southport CT
June 5-8, Indian Harbor Yacht Club, Greenwich CT
June 13-16, Sound Waters, Stamford CT
June 15-18, SUNY Maritime, Bronx NY
Small Boat Level 2 Courses: 2017
June 5-6, Larchmont Yacht Club, Larchmont NY
June 7-8, Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club, Oyster Bay NY
Your Regional Training Coordinators are Joan Lawson and Mary von Conta, who are happy to answer questions you may have or refer you to a source that has the answers you need:
– Joan is the RTC for courses on Long Island and can be reached at Joan.Lawson@gmail.com or 516-742-2574.
– Mary is the RTC for courses in Westchester and Western Connecticut and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 203-259-9588.