The JSA of LIS and US Sailing need help hosting two-day US Sailing Level 1 in-person evaluation sessions for 2021 as described in a recent email. We are trying to identify organizations / facilities in the Western Long Island Sound region that are willing to host one or more two-day in-person evaluation sessions.
Some things host sites for Level 1 In Person Sessions need to provide, or source from neighboring clubs that may share sailing assets:
- Indoor/outdoor classroom space for 10-12 people. Each session is limited to 8 to 10 Instructor Candidates (ICs) and one Instructor Trainer (IT). If possible, registrants will be instructors local to our area, which will benefit the hosting organization as well as neighboring organizations.
- ICs will sail solo: therefore, the boat requirements are 10 single-handed boats (these can be C420s, Lasers, Fevas, or some combination; the C420 and Feva may be sailed with just the mainsail depending on the sailing conditions and the skills of the ICs assigned to those boats) and two coach powerboats.
- Each in-person session will comply with all state, local and facility specific requirements as far as mask wearing, cleaning procedures, and social distancing.
- ICs and the IT will bring their own food each day and not leave the facility to get offsite food.
- The ICs will be required to complete a 14-day health monitoring sheet prior to the start of the session and as an added precaution will be asked to provide a negative COVID test within 3 days of the start of the session.
Host clubs may review the FAQ page on the US Sailing website that further describes the COVID-related guidelines for the in-person sessions.
Additional questions may be directed to US Sailing’s Youth Department at firstname.lastname@example.org