The JSA of LIS and US Sailing need help hosting two-day US Sailing Level 1 in-person evaluation sessions for 2022. We are trying to identify organizations / facilities in the Western Long Island Sound region that are willing to host one or more two-day in-person evaluation sessions.
Some things host sites for Level 1 In Person Sessions need to provide, or source from neighboring clubs that may share sailing assets:
- Indoor/outdoor classroom space for 10-12 people. Each session is limited to 8 to 10 Instructor Candidates (ICs) and one Instructor Trainer (IT). If possible, registrants will be ICs local to our area, which will benefit the hosting organization as well as neighboring organizations.
- The boats required are single- or double-handed sailboats sufficient for 10 people (these can be C420s, Lasers, Fevas, or some combination; the C420 and Feva may even be sailed with just the mainsail depending on the sailing conditions and the skills of the ICs assigned to those boats). Two coach powerboats are also required.
- Each in-person session will comply with all state, local and facility specific requirements as far as mask wearing, cleaning procedures, and social distancing.
- ICs and the IT will bring their own food each day and not leave the facility to get offsite food.
- The ICs will be required to complete a health monitoring sheet prior to the start of the session and as an added precaution will be asked to provide a negative COVID test within 3 days of the start of the session.
Host clubs may review the detailed requirements for host facilities.
If programs are able to host, please first coordinate dates with the JSA Office (email@example.com), and then complete the “Host a Course” online form on the US Sailing website for a “Small Boat Level 1” course. Additional questions may be directed to US Sailing’s Youth Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
Details for the US Sailing Level 1 hybrid course, online plus in-person session.
Details for the US Sailing Level 1 in-person session, only.