Simple Calendar List
- March 7, 2021
- Preliminary schedule that may be affected by COVID-19 conditions in the future.
- Safe Powerboat Handling Course Alternative
- March 10, 2021
- JSA Midwinter Meeting and Program Management Sessions - Online
- March 13, 2021
- Safe Powerboat Handling + Launch Tender - Bronx
- March 19, 2021
- Sailing Program Management Course - online
- March 26, 2021
- O'pen Skiff North American - FL
- April 2, 2021
- Level 1 Instructor Course - online ten days
- April 10, 2021
- New Year Regatta - MBYC - IC/I18
- April 21, 2021
- USODA Opti Team Trials - TX
- April 23, 2021
- Reach STEM Educator Course - online
- May 15, 2021
- Accelerated Safe Powerboat Handling Course - Sag Harbor NY
- May 17, 2021
- Basic Race Management Seminar - online
Detailed Calendar List
March 7, 2021
Preliminary schedule that may be affected by COVID-19 conditions in the future.
Safe Powerboat Handling Course Alternative
- SUNY Waterfront Office
Two day Safe Powerboat Handling courses at SUNY Maritime, Bronx NY, will restart in the spring.
As an alternative, taking a one-day state boating safety course during this winter will prepare an instructor candidate to take a one-day Accelerated Safe Powerboat Handling course when available at SUNY early next spring. Or contact SUNY to arrange a customized one-day Accelerated Safe Powerboat Handling course at your own club.
March 10, 2021 7:00 pm
JSA Midwinter Meeting and Program Management Sessions - Online
- Bob Whittredge JSA Office
< Save the dates for these virtual sessions that will be spread over two evenings >
March 13, 2021
Safe Powerboat Handling + Launch Tender - Bronx
- SUNY Waterfront Office
March 19, 2021
Sailing Program Management Course - online
< Online course spread over ten days >
< Check the URL above for possible dates in the future. >
The US Sailing Small Boat Level 3 Head Instructor Certification Course, is a Sailing Program Management Course designed to support sailing instructors and program managers who are either making the transition to a leadership role in their programs or growing their management skills in their current role. This course is also available for parents and volunteers who want to better manage their sailing programs but do not want to receive a certification.
This course contains information on how to manage more effectively, problem solve, continue to create a quality learning environment for their students and sailing staff, and where to find additional resources. Topics covered in the course include: classroom and on-the-water teaching techniques, risk management, safety issues, curriculum planning, advanced team building techniques, ethical concerns, and so much more.
US Sailing is now running all Level 3 Head Instructor Courses online. The online course is spread over 10 days (Fridays are Day 1 and Sunday is Day 10). The course consists of five live webinars and includes short presentations. The other days are self-paced and consist of video content, group discussion and posts, assignments, quizzes and a final test. Students should expect to spend 20 hours on course work over the 10 days.
April 2, 2021
Level 1 Instructor Course - online ten days
View the full course description at the Additional Info link above, including available dates that extend into future months. If an upcoming course date does not appear on the above link, that course is sold out.
The US Sailing Level 1 Instructor course is divided into two sections.
- An Online, 10-day, guided section. The total time commitment is approximately 10-12 hours. During this section candidates must complete video modules with assessment questions, online testing and attend multiple webinars. Instructor Trainers (ITs) will present material to Instructor Candidates (ICs) during some of the webinars, and ICs will be expected to present to the IT, and the rest of the class, during the other webinar.
- An In-person, 2-day, evaluation scheduled after completion of the online section. The total time commitment is approximately 18-20 hours. Students will be evaluated on their teaching ability, sailing skills, powerboat handling skills and on-water class management, among other topics. For those who have already completed the online portion, the current schedule of in-person sessions may be viewed here.
April 10, 2021
New Year Regatta - MBYC - IC/I18
- Pedro Lorson
- Interclub; Ideal 18
MBYC club boats may be available to junior sailors and their parents at no charge
April 23, 2021
Reach STEM Educator Course - online
< Watch the above URL for future courses. >
US Sailing is now running all Reach STEM Educator Courses online. The online course is spread over 10 days (Friday Day 1 through Sunday Day 10). The course consists of two 40 minute live webinars on Day 2 & Day 3 and then module presentations on Day 9. The other days are self paced and consist of video content, group discussion and posts and quizzes. Students should expect to spend 8-10 hours of course work over the 10 days.
The Reach STEM Educator Course is $150 and includes professional development/training, materials, and copies of the 132 page Reach Educator Guide for Middle School Modules 1-10 (retail $59.95) and Reach Student Logbook and Portfolio (retail $8.00). Upon completion attendees will receive a US Sailing STEM Educator Course certificate and formal educators will receive a certificate for professional development hours.
May 15, 2021
Accelerated Safe Powerboat Handling Course - Sag Harbor NY
- Addie Hale
One-day "Accelerated" Safe Powerboat Handling course at Breakwater Yacht Club, Sag Harbor NY. Completion of this course will give the student the same US Powerboating Safe Powerboat Handling Certificate that is available from a two-day Safe Powerboat Handling course. View information about the course curriculum.
Register by emailing the contact listed above and downloading the attached course flyer.
Taking a one-day Accelerated Safe Powerboat Handling course is available to those who already have taken a one-day state boating safety course and therefore hold the NY or CT state boating safety certificate. If you do not already have that state boating safety certificate, NY State and Connecticut have classroom-style boating safety courses available now, both online and in-person (New York courses and Connecticut courses).
May 17, 2021
Basic Race Management Seminar - online
This online course is ideal for new Race Officers - it covers organizing an event, regatta safety, writing the notice of race and sailing instructions, RC equipment, race committee preparations, setting the starting line, setting the course, starting, finishing and scoring.
The seminar consists of three live 2.5-hour Zoom sessions beginning on the specified date, from 7:00-9:30 pm ET.