PROPERTY LOSS PROCEDURES
The following are recommended property loss procedures that clubs hosting regattas should implement:
At regattas the host club should:
- Post lists of missing equipment.
- Publicize Lost and Found procedures.
- Designate a highly visible Lost and Found “Guru”
- Designate a specific storage area for gear and have available a safe or lock up facility for storage of small valuables.
- Arrange for a marine supplier to be present as a source for replacing broken or missing equipment.
- Programs should encourage instructors and sailors to carry tool kits and spare parts.
- Programs (instructors) should teach organizational skills (use of storage bags, marking all equipment, regatta checklists, etc.) to their sailors.
Sailors should learn the following basic principles regarding property loss:
- Property is usually missing, not stolen.
- Look actively for missing property.
- Never borrow.
- Work with instructors to resolve equipment problems.
- Sailors and instructors should inform the appropriate regatta or program authority if they cannot resolve a property loss problem themselves.