This page contains topics that may be helpful for junior sailing families programs during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Remote Learning Videos, Webinars and Courses
- Support Local Small Businesses
- Register Junior Sailors on the JSA Roster System
Remote Learning Videos, Webinars and Courses:
- US Sailing Starboard Portal https://www.ussailing.org/starboard-portal has new live content, re-purposed content from past events, and content contributed from others like RS Sailing, Gowrie, etc.
- Harken Blockheads: youth sailing info https://harkenblockheads.com/
- UK Sailmakers Animated Rules Quizzes https://www.uksailmakers.com/news/2020/4/23/new-animated-rules-quiz-posted
- Opti TV was created to be a resource for Optimist sailors, parents and coaches https://blog.optitv.net/
- Positive Coaching Alliance online course for youths (12-18 yo) is now free for a limited time. It teaches student-athletes how to make positive contributions on three levels: Personal Mastery (Improving Oneself), Leadership (Improving Teammates), and Honoring the Game (Improving the Sport) https://positivecoach.org/course-sign-up and their Life is a Team Sport program has a variety of online presentations for viewing at home https://positivecoach.org/team-sport
- Storm Trysail Club Safety-at-Sea: STC has been releasing periodic videos from its Safety-At-Sea library that were reserved for in-person seminar participants; these will be available free for a limited time. https://stormtrysail.org/all-safety-at-sea-videos-now-publically-available/
- The WaterFront Center Oyster Bay NY: WFC is dedicated to providing new educational resources for families who are educating their children from home. That is why we are excited to present our “Science From Home” online classes [$] where we will bring you interactive STEM, Sailing, and Marine Education lessons and experiences. https://mailchi.mp/thewfc/covid-19-update-a-new-online-class-science-from-home and a weekly schedule https://www.wellnessliving.com/rs/schedule/the_waterfront_center
- New England Science & Sailing Stonington CT: has been creating short NESS EDU videos [$] for your family and friends to enjoy https://www.facebook.com/NESSF.org/ and https://nessf.org/ness-offers-online-stem-courses/
- SoundWaters Stamford CT: daily remote learning video https://soundwaters.org/soundwaters-daily/
- Animated Knots by Grog: Learn how to tie knots, from Boating Knots, Fishing Knots and Climbing Knots to tying a tie, or even Surgical Knots. https://www.animatedknots.com/boating-knots
- RS Feva North America: video sessions about Feva setup and handling https://www.facebook.com/RSFEVANA/
- Cruising Club of America staged a full day of intensive weather seminars to help understand and make use of advances in measurement, analysis, and communications technology. The presentations were recorded and are offered as voice-over-slideshow videos. https://cruisingclub.org/article/weather-seminar-videos-2020
- Herreshoff Marine Museum‘s Code Flag Lima Project provides entertaining content for the quarantined, including replays from a lecture series, stories about legendary Herreshoff boats, projects for kids and families, updates on the steam launch replica under construction, and other cool stuff from friends of the Museum. www.herreshoff.org/lima
- Dave Perry Books: buy any of Dave’s books from the US Sailing Store at reduced price. https://shop.ussailing.org/search/dave+perry/
- Peter Isler: In this series of home-produced webinars [$], Isler will explore a variety of topics around the world of sailing. https://asa.com/webinars/
- Sailors for the Sea: Kids Environmental Lesson Plans (KELP) are free downloadable marine science activities that encourage curiosity in kids and help them explore their surroundings with simple materials and minimal preparation. https://www.sailorsforthesea.org/programs/kelp and the blog has interesting stories about their other programs, including Clean Regattas https://www.sailorsforthesea.org/blog/
- Green Blue website in the UK has an array of free educational and fun resources available to teach kids about key environmental issues. https://thegreenblue.org.uk/resources/club-centres-association-resources/educational-activities/
- Boat US Foundation: the free Safe Boating Education certificate online training is legal for NY State residents http://www.boatus.org/newyork/. And the online training can also get you prepped for the required classroom training in Connecticut http://www.boatus.org/connecticut/ (also view new CT distance learning videos for teens https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/Boating/Certification/Junior-Boater).
- US Sailing SafeSport: By being better educated and more aware of the various types of misconduct and how to recognize them, each of us can make our sport safer and help end abuse in sport. Once you complete the online course, your SafeSport training will be logged on your membership record in the US Sailing. database. This link has access to the online training required for each person in contact with youth sailors. Also available is free training for parents, age-appropriate parent toolkits for youths, and a webinar about prevention of bullying. https://www.ussailing.org/competition/resources/safesport-us-sailing/
- College Sailing Association Video Collection: https://www.facebook.com/pg/collegesailing/videos/
- Virtual Regatta racing https://www.virtualregatta.com/en/
Support Our Local Small Businesses: think about buying now the sailing gear and supplies (or some gift cards) that you may use later when sailing becomes possible. Here are some local businesses that have provided support to events organized by JSA in recent years:
- Boat Locker, Bridgeport CT https://www.boatlocker.com/
- Dinghy Shop, Amityville NY http://www.dinghyshop.com/
- Landfall, Stamford CT https://www.landfallnavigation.com/
- Long Island Boat Rentals, Port Washington NY https://liboatrentals.com/
- Please suggest others in our area that we may have missed!
Register, or update a prior year registration, of your junior sailors in the JSA Roster System using the guidance on JSA’s roster/registration page.