Awards Presented at the JSA LIS 2017 Annual Meeting
The JSA of LIS held its 2017 Annual General Membership Meeting at Larchmont Yacht Club on October 18. A major item on the agenda was the awarding of trophies for season performance based on high point scores at specified qualifier events, which were the Eastern or Western District Regattas, Larchmont Junior Race Week and JSA Race Week at Cedar Point YC (for Club 420 and Laser) or the Manhasset Bay YC Junior Race Week (for Pixels).
The awardees and their high point percentage of perfection are:
- Clinton M. Bell Trophy for high point score in any junior open events (Club 420 or Laser), and Junior Singlehanded High Point Score: Laser Radial – TJ Danilek Riverside YC 99.91%.
- Christopher Goodyear Neff Trophy for junior open events runner-up in Club 420 or Laser, and Thomas W. Fowler, Jr. Trophy for high point score in junior doublehanded open events: Club 420 – Charlotte Costikyan (skipper) and Isabel Infurna (crew) Noroton YC 97.24%
- Junior Singlehanded Open Events Runner-Up: Radial – Andrew Powers American YC 96.07% %
Junior Doublehanded Open Events Runner-up: Club 420 – Everett Nash (skipper) and Felix Nizet (crew) Pequot YC 96.32%
- Junior Singlehanded Open Events Series High Point in Laser Standard: Chase Reynolds Pequot YC 88.89%
- Timothy Sinclair Memorial Trophy for high point score in Pixel open events: Nicholas Noyer (skipper) and Harlan Power (crew) Horseshoe Harbor YC 90.70%
Also presented were special discretionary awards that celebrate people who are strong role models among the junior sailors at JSA member junior sailing programs:
- Mitchell S. Weeks Memorial Trophy is awarded to junior sailors who are respected for exceptional sportsmanship in the Club 420, Laser and Laser Radial classes. These sailors always use good clean racing and skill, no matter if its win, lose or draw, and you’re left thinking they are good people to race against. Three sailors shared this prize: Will O’Leary American YC – Laser Standard; Lauren Stewart Milford YC – Laser Radial; Spencer Kriegstein Centerport YC – Club 420 Skipper.
- Brooke E. Gonzalez Memorial Trophy is awarded to a junior woman who demonstrates sportsmanship, exceptional ethical behavior and dedication to the sport of sailing, with outstanding achievement in sailing competition: Madelyn Ploch – American YC.
The awards for certain junior big boat sailing events held in August were also presented:
- Marlinspike Seamanship Contest Trophy: TJ Danilek and Pierce Ornstein (tied) Riverside YC
- Warren G. Dellenbaugh Junior Navigation Trophy for highest score in the advanced navigation contest: Grant Ballesteros Cedar Point YC.
- Junior Navigation Contest Runner-Ups: Jack Childs Riverside YC and Constantyn van der Voort American YC.
- Dorade Trophy Regatta presented by Stamford YC
J/105 One Design Division
1st and Overall – Young American, American YC
2nd – Strange Brew, Riverside YC
1st Quintessence, Larchmont YC
2nd Morning Glory, Larchmont YC
3rd Expresso, Cedar Point YC
- Everett B. Morris Memorial Trophy for the Beach Point Yacht Club Overnight Race
1st and Overall: Three Beans, Pequot YC
2nd Quintessence, Larchmont YC
3rd Morning Glory, Larchmont YC
4th Lora Ann, Larchmont YC
1st Young American, American YC
2nd Mad Blue, American YC
3rd Privateer, American YC